Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Using Parametric Curves to Drive Surface Geometry

One of my purposes of this blog is to post up the work I did while discovering how to effectively harness the parametric modelling capabilities of Revit.


At first, I had a lot of trouble figuring out the difference between 'Instance' versus 'Type' parameters and where you would use what.  This is an exercise where I figured out the difference and how to imbed "Type" Parameters in a model.


First, I laid out some refrence points at random.  Each point was linked to some dimensions and then I drew a curve through the points.  All of the parameter here are 'Type' and created a few different types with the points in different places.  This model was saved and would become a NESTED PROFILE.

Then loaded the curve family (aka THE NESTED PROFILE) into a new conceptual mass model (aka THE HOST), one on each level.  The important thing I figured out here was how to apply a 'Label' to each NEST, using the panel in the top left corner.  This allows me to change the NESTED PROFILE for any level within the HOST family.



I select all my NESTED PROFILES and hit the CREATE FORM button and voila!  I get something like this....



But that form in and of itself is not very interesting, so i go to the Family Types panel and I can see all my labels lined out and ready to be adjusted.  In the original NESTED PROFILE model, I set up the different Types which controls the points which drive the form.  If i want more NESTED PROFILE types, I can set them up from the project browser, just like with any other family.



And so with this meshugas behind me, I was able to get into something like this:



Conceptually, this process opens many doors in generating complex forms.  I use nested profiles quite often my work.  The Millenium Hilton model was done this way and an understanding of these principals underpins the Parametric Sightline work.

1 comment: